Meet Our 2021 Class!
May 24, 2021
Today, we welcome 4 new Software Engineering interns to Asymmetrik. Since they’ll be immersed into project teams, each student will get to experience the ins and outs of the full software development life cycle. We sense a busy and fun summer ahead! Now, without further ado, let’s meet our interns.
Josie is a rising senior Computer Science major and project management minor at the University of Maryland. She loves that Computer Science allows her to use her creative side to solve problems, and says, “There is no better feeling than figuring out a bug after many hard hours of working on the same few lines of code.”
When she’s not coding, you can find Josie cooking, going on walks, and “learning how to make cool beats”. Here are some other fun facts about Josie!
- She loves dogs: “I am a volunteer puppy sitter for the Guide Dog Foundation, so I have a different dog each week!”
- Favorite programming language: Java (Least favorite? MIPS Assembly)
- The song she knows all the words to? “Supermodel” by SZA
Kallie is currently pursuing her Master’s Degree in Human-Centered Computing at UMBC. As an undergrad, she majored in psychology and sociology, which she’s always had a passion for. “I’ve always been creative and inspired by my grandfather who was a graphic designer back when letterpress printing and paper were used. Human-centered computing seemed like the culmination of these interests, and I love that I get the opportunity to work with people, create designs, and think sociologically to create more equitable interfaces.”
- She has something in common with Steve Martin: “In high school, I played Orin the Dentist (Steve Martin’s role) in Little Shop of Horrors.”
- Until recently, she thought 😭 was a shouting emoji: “But I found out it’s actually a loudly crying face emoji… The blue lines didn’t register as tears in my mind. I think I’m the only person in the world who thought that.”
- The songs she knows all the words to? “September” by Earth, Wind & Fire and “Rocket Man” by Elton John.
A Rockville, MD native, Stella is a rising senior at the University of South Carolina. Originally, she planned to go to grad school for anthropology or history, but after taking an intro computer science class, she realized that she loved coding much more than writing papers.
Outside of school, she loves spicy vegetarian food, minimalist vibes, and babies of all ages. She finds inspiration in young children and how easily they learn and adapt. “I try every day to be as open-minded and curious as a two year old.”
- Her unpopular opinion? “Coffee is terrible.”
- Most embarrassing fact: “I don’t ever remember how to get gas, so I always make a friend help me because I’m scared. The process is just too complicated and I don’t want to be responsible for the whole gas station exploding!!”
- The song she knows all the words to? “ICY GRL” by Saweetie
Nick is a rising senior at UMBC studying Computer Science. After deciding to teach himself some programming in preparation for an upcoming class, he instantly fell in love with software development. “I really like technology in general and that feeling when a program runs perfectly and does everything you want it to is just amazing.”
- He might have an unhealthy love of Oreos: “I have eaten AT LEAST 5 Oreos a night, every night, for the past decade of my life (that comes to about 18, 250 oreos) and I will continue to do so until my death.”
- If he wasn’t human, he’d be a sea turtle: “The ocean is a truly beautiful place and sea turtles have similar life spans to humans so hopefully I would be able to see most of the ocean in my lifetime. They are also generally peaceful creatures, and I am not a huge fan of fighting.”
- The song he knows all the words to? “Rhythm of Love” by Plain White T’s